Almost everything we do these days involves some sort of computer automation. From the ATM that gives consumers cash to the self-checkout lane at the grocery store, automation is a huge part of current businesses. And now, with robotics and artificial intelligence (AI) becoming more and more advanced, that automation is only going to become more prevalent. So is your organization ready for the era of robotics and automation? Prepare yourself, because it’s coming sooner than you think.
What Are Robotics and Types of Robotics?
Robotics is a technical field that combines computer science and engineering to develop and manufacture robots that execute tasks.
Robots are classified into three broad categories:
- Robots that function purely on human input.
- Semi-autonomous robots can do some activities autonomously but still require human intervention and observation.
- And autonomous robots, can do tasks entirely on their own and respond to real-world surroundings with minimum human intervention.
What is Automation and Types of Automation?
Automation is a process that replaces human labor with software, machines, or other technologies.
Automation is used for both virtual and physical tasks. This method can be applied to a variety of simple operations, such as a programmed thermostat. It can also carry out exceedingly complicated operations and is occasionally aided by artificial intelligence or machine learning.
There are three forms of automation:
- Software automation: Software automation employs a computer program to perform repetitive operations. These “bots” are not physical robots, despite their name, and they can be used to automate operations such as auto-filling forms or banking services.
- RPA: RPA is a sort of software automation that uses a computer’s user interface in the same way that a human worker would. Some RPA technologies have been improved with machine learning or artificial intelligence to help them perform rule-based tasks more effectively.
- Industrial automation: Machines are used in industrial automation to control physical processes. CNC machines and automated inspection equipment are common examples.
Wide Applications of Robotics and Automation
Construction will be one of the most popular robotics and automation applications in 2022. Despite being one of the least digitized industries in the past, this sector has been embracing more modern technologies in recent years. This is due to the need to cover labor shortage gaps while simultaneously improving efficiency and managing increased project demand.
Shipping and Packaging
Businesses that want to keep up with demand will have to further automate their shipping and packing procedures. Some businesses, most notably Amazon, have already embraced these technologies to the point that they are driving growth across the board.
Popular robotics technologies include autonomous guided vehicles, which automatically grab items from shelves and transport them throughout a warehouse or fulfillment center.
For decades, the transportation industry has been interested in automation, but making self-driving cars a reality has been difficult. This is due to the difficulty of roadways and the time required to effectively train an AI car. Several companies have been testing self-driving cars on public roads over the last year or two, and next-generation automated vehicles are anticipated to hit the road by the end of 2022.
Food and Grocery
Robotics and automation are being employed more in the restaurant and grocery industries than many people realize. Businesses have been embracing technology to develop novel ways to improve consumer experiences and even create new business models.
Because manufacturing is frequently continuous and large-scale, automated production is the best technology for producing more products in less time and with higher quality. Due to the present supply chain crisis, manufacturers will need all the assistance they can get to increase output and manage unreliable supplier deliveries. Robotic manufacturing lines, autonomous quality assurance, and collaborative robots are critical to achieving this.
The healthcare industry has had a challenging few years, but automation and robotics may help alleviate some of the tension by 2022. Robots are now having a big impact. These robots are being used in schools and other non-healthcare settings. Robots are even being employed in senior care to help replace staffing gaps while also socializing the elderly.
Automation and robotics are transforming how organizations run. Are you prepared for this transition? If not, it’s time to start getting ready right away. At SmartOSC, we’re experts in helping businesses make the transition to a more automated future. Contact us today to find out how we can help you get ahead of the curve and stay competitive in an increasingly robotic world.